The Christian life is an ongoing journey. In the Sacrament of Confirmation we celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit and reaffirm our baptismal commitment to the Mission of Christ. The Spirit comes to us, enabling and empowering us to live as fully initiated members of the Catholic Church and sons and daughters of God who extend the message of Christ to the world. Christ sends us out to share his love.
Confirmation for Grade School Children
Young people prepare for this sacrament during two years of Religion classes at St. Michael School or Religious Education Classes in our parish Faith Formation Program. Typically a candidate for Confirmation is in 7th and 8th grades for this two year journey. As we know, parents are the first and primary educators of their child. Hence, parent participation and involvement in sacrament preparation is essential for your child to understand this sacrament.
There is a team, led by Jesus, who works together with our children. It is comprised of their parents St. Michael School Teachers, Religious Education Catechists and Parish Staff.
To be Confirmed, young people learn what it means to be a follower of Christ, to serve as Jesus did using their gifts from God, and to follow the Holy Spirit on their lifelong journey living as a disciple of Christ. Preparation includes the following:
- A parent/student meeting in November of 7th grade where the two year process is explained.
- Service to the community.
- Enrollment in the final year of the Confirmation process before the parish community in October of 8th grade.
- A parent only meeting in September when the child is in 8th grade.
- A youth-focused retreat (Holy Fire), sponsored by the Archdiocese of Chicago in October of 8th grade.
- A “Celebration of the Spirit” evening for the students, sponsors and parents in February of 8th grade.
- A Confirmation rehearsal with a student and parent or sponsor the week of Confirmation.
- The Celebration of Confirmation with student, sponsor and family sometime in Spring.
The following is our Confirmation Preparation Schedules / Forms for the Year 2018-2019:
For information or for your child to begin the Confirmation preparation process, please contact Kelly Martinez, Coordinator of Religious Education, at 708-873-4633 or email at email@example.com.
Confirmation for 13-18 Year Olds
High School Students who are seeking to be Confirmed are invited to contact Pat Chuchla, Pastoral Associate and Director of Worship, at 708-873-4652 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss your faith journey and to determine the appropriate preparation and the timing for the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Confirmation for Adults
Adults (college age and up) who are seeking to be Confirmed are invited to contact Sr. Marietta Umlor, Pastoral Associate and Director of the RCIA, at 708-873-4634 or email at email@example.com, to discuss your faith journey and to determine the appropriate preparation and the timing for the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Adult Confirmation Classes will be sponsored by Vicariate V at
- Incarnation Parish located at 5705 W. 127th Street in Palos Heights, IL 60463
- Thursday evenings from 7-9 PM
- October 4, 11, 18, 25 and November 1, 8, 15 in English
- To register contact Kathy McNicholas at 708-388-4005 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Lady of the Snows located at 4810 S. Leamington in Chicago, IL 60638
- Thursday evenings from 7-9 PM
- September 13, 20, 27, October 4, 18, 25, and November 8, 15 in English and in Spanish
- To register contact Deacon Franco Foti at 773-852-2266 or email@example.com
Confirmation for both of these groups will be celebrated at
- St. John Fisher Parish located at 10234 S. Washtenaw in Chicago, IL 60655
- Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12 Noon